Our House is Home:
Rehab for Mothers
Sojourner House provides inpatient, residential treatment to addicted mothers. Located in East Liberty, Sojourner House provides 24/7 residential rehabilitation services for 14 families at any given time. Mothers can bring three children with them and stay up to six months while receiving intensive treatment for their addiction.
Sojourner House is proud to be the only treatment program in Allegheny County that provides each family with their own apartment for the duration of the mother’s treatment. Starting here, mothers and children experience the joys and challenges of living as an independent, drug-free family while surrounded by round-the-clock support.
Sojourner House shall ensure the availability of preferential treatment to pregnant women. Priority is given to women as follows: (a) pregnant injection-drug users; (b) pregnant substance users; (c) injection-drug users; and (d) all others.
To be eligible, a woman must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have at least one child aged 12 years or younger
- Be actively seeking custody of a child or be pregnant
- Be dedicated to working on recovery and willing to meet program requirements
Key program elements:
- A maximum six month stay in an individual apartment
- Evidence-based gender-responsive treatment
- Individual, group & family counseling
- Children’s programming
- Linkages to community resources
*Allegheny County Department of Children, Youth and Families estimates it costs $1,000/month, per child, for children remaining in the child welfare system.
Positive results for children:
- 100% Received medical interventions and are current with immunizations
- 100% received programming based on assessment levels
- 100% demonstrated achievement level gains in school readiness indicators
- 100% improved social behavior when interacting with their peers
- 100% improved language skills (letters & sounds)
- 100% showed improvement in cognition & general knowledge
- 93% of pre-school children met the goals of age-appropriate fine-motor skills