Every day, Sojourner House provides compassionate recovery services and works to create a brighter future for families. We are proud to help the mothers in our care make major steps towards a better life for themselves and their children. And this September, our team is also proudly sharing our knowledge and mission with the Pittsburgh community by taking part in Recovery Month.
This annual observance is particularly significant to us, and we are excited to be able to work with the Pittsburgh community throughout this month to share knowledge and hope related to recovery.
Throughout the month of September, Sojourner House will attend Recovery Month events and wellness fairs, and will work with community leaders to spread an important message: that no one is alone in the journey through recovery. Everyone’s journey is different, but we are all in this together.
Here’s what we want you to know and do during Recovery Month 2023:
About Recovery Month
National Recovery Month (or Recovery Month for short) has been observed since 1989. Each September, health and wellness organizations use this month to:
- Promote and support new evidence-based treatment and recovery practices
- Celebrate the nation’s recovery community
- Recognize the dedication of service providers and communities who make recovery possible
Recovery Month also reinforces the message that behavioral health is essential to overall health; that prevention works; that treatment is effective; and that people can and do recover. The event’s tagline is, “Every Person. Every Family. Every Community.” It’s a powerful statement about the impact of substance abuse – but also about the power people, families, and communities have to help people through recovery.
Resources During Recovery Month
While we are one resource available locally during (and after) Recovery Month, we are not the only one! Here are other resources we highly recommend utilizing for education, outreach, and action during the month:
- Sojourner House’s Yoga in the Streets: Our own 2nd Annual “Yoga in the Streets” event is a community outreach event that we host during recovery month to provide options for mindfulness and self care in the community. Resource providers and vendors will be attending on Friday, September 22, 2023 from 10:00am to 2:00pm. The 7000th block of Kelly Street will be closed between N. Murtland and N. Lang. Yoga will begin at 11:00am, so bring your mat and water bottle!
- Recovery Month Toolkit: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has created a toolkit that is accessible to all. Use this toolkit to share informative and hopeful social media content, to learn about how you can support those in recovery, and how you can promote awareness about recovery year-round.
- Government Official Contact Form: On the official Recovery Month website, you will find information dedicated specifically to writing to representatives and local government officials, encouraging them to sign proclamations in support of Recovery Month. By contacting officials, communities can encourage our leaders to commit to improving access to recovery.
- Pittsburgh Recovery Walk: The Pittsburgh Recovery Walk honors everyone’s personal experience with addiction and recovery, and the 2023 Pittsburgh Recovery Walk will take place on September 16th. Even if you cannot participate in the walk directly, we encourage you to support this local event and take advantage of their own resources and advocacy tools on their website!
Sojourner House believes that every family has the power and strength to achieve recovery. 75% of people in substance use disorder recovery achieve their goal. We know firsthand that it’s possible for our mothers and their children to return to a substance-free life together. We look forward to sharing that message and that hope during this year’s Recovery Month!